The Viva Vine: vol #6, no #3: may / June, 1997
(Though some, or all of these events
may be past, we leave them in
for historical reference)
Sunday, May 11
Saturday, May 17
- Mother's Day is Veal Ban Day. To get an action kit for staging an event yourself, call the Farm Animal Reform Movement at (888) ASK-FARM.The VivaVegie Society will be out in New York City with its veal crate, as always. Information: (212) 966-2060.
Sunday, June 1
- Karen Davis, founder of United Poultry Concerns, signs copies of her new book, Prisoned Chickens, Poisoned Eggs, from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. at the Manhattan home of Debbie Tanzer. Information: (212) 799-7699.
- Potluck with EarthSave Long Island, 6:30 p.m. at Sweet Hollow Hall, Melville, NY. Cost is $6, $3 for EarthSave members. Bring a vegan dish to share. Information: (516) 421-3791.
- Potluck with EarthSave Hudson Valley, 6 p.m. in Pleasantville, NY. Sam Weinreb will speak about sustainable communities. Bring a vegan dish for six to eight. Information: (914) 472-7392.
Sunday, June 15
- New York Harbor dinner cruise with Vegetarian Vision. Boarding is at 5:45 p.m. from the World's Fair Marina Pier 1 in Queens; boat returns at 10 p.m. $40 for singles, $75 for couples. Reserve tickets by May 15. Send checks to Vege tarian Vision Inc., 146 W. 29th St., New York, NY 10001. Information: (212) 971-0653.
Thursday, June 26
- Boston Vegetarian Food Festival. Food sampling, cooking demos, speakers, entertainment, children's activities. Information: E-mail Sabra Goldick at firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday, June 30
- Beginning of Animal Rights '97 National Convention in Washington, D.C., which lasts until Monday, June 30. Networking, workshops, lobbyist training, music, vegan meals and top-name speakers. Registration is $100 before May 27, $125 after. Information: (888) FARM-USA.
Wednesday, July 2
- Hear Animal Factories coauthor Jim Mason speak about his latest book, An Unnatural Order. Cosponsored by Big Apple Vegetarians and Sierra Club New York. Washington Square Methodist Church, 135 W. 4th St., between Sixth Ave. and MacDougal St., 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. No RSVP necessary. Information: (718) 855-6030.
Wednesday, July 9
- Beginning of the American Vegan Society's 37th annual convention, which lasts until Sunday, July 6, at Evergreen State College in Olympia, WA. Rates range from $50 to $260. Information: (609) 694-2887
Compiled by Dave Horn
- Beginning of The North American Vegetarian Society Vegetarian Summerfest, which lasts until Tuesday, July 13, at the University of Pittsburgh branch in Johnstown, PA. Nutrition tips, medical help, organizing of activists. Award- winning vegan meals. Rates range from $25 to $565 for various ages and accommodations. Information: E-mail email@example.com or call (518) 568-7970.
Copyright © 1997. The VivaVegie Society. All rights reserved.
HTML source file: Copyright © 1997 EarthBase, Inc. All rights reserved.